Here are the facts:
- Women are not paid equal to their male counterparts;
- Women’s superannuation balances lag behind men’s;
- Nine out of 10 Australian women don’t have enough super to fund their retirement;
- Women have around 40 per cent less superannuation than men;
- Women are more likely than men to take a career break to raise children;
- Women are 2.5 times more likely to live in poverty in retirement than men.
So what does this really mean?
With longer life expectancies than men, women are forced to survive on less for longer than their male counterparts.